11 Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes For Weight Loss
The Mediterranean Diet is famous for its many health benefits from lowering the risk of heart disease and weight loss, the 11 healthy mediterranean diet recipes for weight loss will help you to lose those excess fat fast.
Read on for meal ideas for the Mediterranean diet and Mediterranean diet recipes. Your waistline and your taste buds will thank you.
These simple healthy mediterranean diet recipes for weight loss are all suitable as main meals. Mediterranean salad recipes have been included as a healthy accompaniment. Alternatively, fresh steamed vegetables would also be great selections for Mediterranean cuisine.
11 Healthy Mediterranean Diet Recipes For Weight Loss
1. Spinach, Mushroom, Tomato Frittata with Feta Cheese. (Serves 4.)
Many Mediterranean food recipes incorporate plenty of fresh and colorful vegetables. Try substituting your very favorite vegetable and herbs for a more unique and personalized Mediterranean meal.
1 Tabspn extra virgin olive oil
8 oz, or 3 cups, sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tspn pepper
1/4 tspn salt
1/2 tspn oregano, or any fresh herb you prefer
10 oz, or 1 bag, fresh spinach, chopped
1/4 cup milk, preferably reduced fat or skim
1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled, preferably reduced fat
2 tomatoes, sliced
Add oil to non-stick ovenproof pan, and over a medium heat, cook mushrooms, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and herbs. Stir to prevent sticking for approximately 8 minutes, until all liquid is removed.
Add spinach, cover, cook for about 5 minutes until spinach is just wilted.
Whisk eggs in mixing bowl. Add cheese and eggs to pan containing cooked vegetables and stir gently to mix. Turn heat to low. Place sliced tomato on top and cook uncovered for about 10 minutes, until only slight amount of juice remains.
Place under grill for 3-5 minutes until set.
Slice and serve with salad or steamed fresh seasonal vegetables drizzled with a little extra virgin olive oil.
2. Roasted Mediterranean Style Leg of Lamb With Artichokes. (Serves 10.)
This is a great example of a Mediterranean recipe, featuring such traditional Mediterranean foods as lamb, garlic, and artichokes.
4lb leg of lamb
1 tspn oregano, chopped finely
1 tspn pepper
2 tspn salt
1 garlic clove, minced
8 oz, or 1 cup of tomato passata
1 cup, or 250 ml, water
9 oz artichoke hearts, tinned, marinated, or frozen
Heat oven to 325º F.
Rub the combined oregano, pepper and salt into the lamb. Place lamb on rack in shallow baking pan. Bake in oven for 2 1/2 hours.
Remove lamb and baking rack from oven. Drain fat from baking juices and place lamb back in pan without the baking rack.
Combine garlic, passata, and water, and pour over lamb. Place sliced lemon over top of lamb. Place artichokes around lamb in baking dish.
Bake for another 30-60 minutes, basting occasionally with sauce, until meat thermometer reaches 175-180º F.
Serve with salad or roast vegetables, such as potatoes, pumpkin, and sweet potato.
3. Healthy Greek Salad. (Serves 4.)
2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped or sliced
3 tomatoes, chopped
1 Spanish onion
4 teaspn fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspn oregano
salt and pepper as desired
8 pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
1 cup feta cheese, reduced fat, crumbled
Combine cucumbers, tomatoes, and onion in appropriately sized salad bowl.
Combine lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, salt and pepper. Drizzle over salad.
Place feta cheese and olives decoratively on top.
4. Traditional Tabbouleh (Serves 4 as an accompaniment.)
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup bulgur
1 onion, finely chopped
5 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspns extra virgin olive oil
pinch of salt if required
Add boiling water to bulgur in small bowl. Mix, then cover. Stand for about 60 minutes. Drain off any leftover water.
Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add softened bulgur and mix well.
5. Mediterranean Style Grilled Vegetable Sandwich
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
- 1 medium eggplant, sliced into strips
- 2 Portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 tbsps. mayonnaise
- 2 tbsps. Olive oil, divided
Place eggplant strips, mushroom slices and red bell peppers in a grill rack. Brush with olive oil then cook in a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat. Grill until eggplant and mushrooms are tender and bell peppers are blackened. Set aside and allow to cool for a few minutes. Slice bread loaf lengthwise. Combine crushed garlic and mayonnaise to make the sauce and spread the mixture on each half of the focaccia bread. Peel, core and slice cooled bell peppers then arrange it on the bread together with the eggplant and mushrooms.
6. Grilled Chicken and Greens
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breast halves
- 4 zucchinis, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6 tsps. masala, divided
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
In a small bowl, combine 4 tsps. masala, garlic, olive oil, salt and black pepper. Place each chicken breast half in an aluminum foil about 12 x 18 inches, then coat each with the mixture and sprinkle each piece with 1/2 tsp. masala. Place onion and zucchini slices on top of the chicken. Seal packets but leave room for heat circulation. Cook on a pre-heated grill over medium-high heat for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Serve topped with yogurt.
7. Classic Barbecue Grilled Vegetables
- 1 eggplant, cut into 3/4-inch thick slices
- 6 mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 zucchinis, sliced
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Place eggplant slices, mushrooms, zucchini slices and red bell peppers in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, thoroughly combine garlic, basil, lemon juice and olive oil. Pour the mixture over the vegetables and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour. When ready, cook on a pre-heated grill over high heat for 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through. Allow to cool before serving.
Aiming for weight loss is now a lot easier with these healthy and delicious grilled vegetable dishes!
8. Slow Cooker Mediterranean Chicken
Tender and flavorful slow cooker mediterranean chicken with olives, onions, and roasted red peppers makes a hearty and tasty meal all made in one dish.
- 4 medium-large boneless skinless chicken breasts OR 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- juice of 1 medium lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup kalamata olives
- 1 cup roughly chopped roasted red peppers
- 2 tablespoons capers
- fresh thyme or basil for garnish (optional)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper to taste. Cook in a large skillet over medium-high heat 1-2 minutes on each side til browned. Transfer to greased slow cooker.
- Add onions, olives, red peppers, and capers to slow cooker (tuck them around the sides so they aren’t covering up the chicken). Whisk together italian seasoning, lemon juice, and garlic and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2 hours. Garnish with fresh thyme or oregano and serve.
9. Greek Quesadillas
- 8 (8-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup julienned sun dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill
For the tzatziki sauce
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 English cucumber, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint, optional
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- To make the tzatziki sauce, combine Greek yogurt, cucumber, garlic, dill, lemon juice, lemon zest and mint in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Drizzle with olive oil. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Top tortilla with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, olives and cheeses, and then top with another tortilla. Repeat with remaining tortillas to make 4 quesadillas.
- Place quesadillas onto the prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake until the cheese has melted, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve immediately with tzatziki sauce, garnished with dill, if desired.
10. Mediterranean Herb Shrimp with Penne
Ingredients: 6 Servings
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups fresh or frozen small broccoli florets
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 ounces (1/2 package) cream cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons
- 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cook pasta in large saucepan as directed on package, adding shrimp and broccoli during the last 3 minutes of cooking. Drain well.
- Bring half-and-half to simmer in same saucepan on medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add cream cheese, Seasonings and salt; whisk until cheese is melted and sauce is well blended.
- Return pasta, shrimp and broccoli to saucepan; toss gently to coat well. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately.
11. Hearty Mediterranean Salad with Balsamic Chicken
Mediterranean Salad with a Creamy Balsamic Dressing – Full of greens, protein and flavor! Comes together super quickly and tastes so fresh and delicious. Plus it’s healthier than most restaurants, too!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut in half horizontally)
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 8 cups romaine lettuce (spinach or spring mix)
- 2 tomatoes (sliced or diced)
- 1 cucumber (chopped)
- 1/2 red onion (sliced or diced)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup mayo (or plain greek yogurt)
- 2 Tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or mayo)
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup (or honey)
- Place the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with the Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken into the pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes per side, or until cooked through the center.
- Once cooked, remove from the heat and slice into thin strips once slightly cooled.
- Combine the mayo, greek yogurt, oil, vinegar, Italian seasoning, garlic salt, and maple syrup in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Layer the lettuce in one large bowl, or 4 individual bowls. Top with chicken, tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, feta and parsley. Drizzle over the dressing over the top of the salad and toss until combined.
You may have noticed that these healthy mediterranean diet recipes for weight lossuse extra virgin olive oil. The reason? Extra virgin olive oil is made from the very first pressing of the olives, and as a consequence contains the very highest levels of anti-oxidants. The Mediterranean Diet is famous for being a rich source of anti-oxidants, which are vital for good health and mopping up dangerous free radicals.
Recommended reading: 10 Healthy Eating Mediterranean Diet For Weight Loss Recipes
If you enjoy the 11 healthy mediterranean diet recipes for weight loss post, share it on facebook and pinterest.